Monday, June 6, 2011

Indian Hills

Today I went and spoke about encouragement to kids at Indian Hills Elementary School.  They were very receptive.

I started out with one of my favorite books: If You Give A Cat A Cupcake by Laura Numeroff.   As the Cupcake Queen of the Miss Arkansas Pageant I take it as my duty to inform kids - Cupcakes are Fun!  Check out my Cupcake Blog at www.misscupcakequeen.blogspot.com !!



Next I read a story that directly relates to my Platform Be A Buddy!  It was about Special Kids and how we can be encouragers to them.  Their teacher Mrs. Distradict told them an important quote that I think everybody should remember 
"People aren't smarter than you, they just know different things."  
That is an encouraging quote!  



The last book I read was about a kid named Cody and how he must learn to encourage his little sister Emily.  It is called Cody's Castle.  The kids responded well to this book because almost every child had a sibling and they were able to recognize different times in their life when they were not encouragers and how they can be encouragers in the future.


Even though I spoke mainly on encouraging others today - that is still right along with my platform Be a Buddy.  Third graders are not going to be able to go home and tell their parents I want to volunteer in an organization for disabled kids - however, they are able to go home and be a buddy by encouraging those around them.

Here are some pictures from today's class!



This is my beautiful cousin Jessica.  She constantly inspires me!  I love her so much.

She is my buddy and the reason that I got started in Miracle League and why I started Be A Buddy!


No comments:

Post a Comment